Wednesday, November 16, 2011
Wednesday, November 9, 2011
Here's what I receive fro Quiltnkimmie.
Quiltnkimmie said she thought it would be fun to include frogs made of different materials. It is, it is!!!! The next picture shows the little purse that the silver frogs
Keep on Swapping!
Sunday, November 6, 2011
That made me rethink the ghosts in the offsetting corners. I still wanted to do them but I wanted the spiderwebs to be seen too. "Flash" goes my brain. What if the Ghosts were made from organza. I could burn the edges and sew them on. Better yet what if I sewed them on with Glow in the Dark Thread. This resulted in 2 technical problems that delayed my finishing the quilt on time.
pattern. So I designed my mini quilt around this block. The problem was I didn't read the directions. This block is made by sewing strips together, cutting this into squares. Then cutting the squares in half on the diagonal. Easy right, just like half square triagles. Just pieced. The problem was it's done completely random and the block comes
out the size it comes out. I decided on what size strips I would cut to do a small enough block. This quilt is not suppose to be bigger than 15" Half of 15 is 7 1/2", right. Well the first block game out to be 8 1/2". Too large!!! So I recut strips 1/4" smaller thinking this should get me closer to the right size. Wrong!! It came out about 6" finished. Instead of making another test, I just added a border around the web to make it float. Whew!!!
Second problem came when I tried to attach the first ghost. I thought and thought about this and decided to use paper piecing paper. I could temporarily sew the ghost to the paper, thereby stablizing the organza. Then I could cut out the ghost and zigzag it in place on the quilt. This would work because the back of the ghost was in the seam allowance, so I could pull the paper out through this side. Wrong, wrong, wrong!!!!! The paper is stronger then the organza!!! The organza tore before the paper!!!! This was a nightmare. I was going to be late!!! I still had to do my other swap for the same group. Ughhh!
I refused to change my design. I needed to make it work!!! After several sleeples nights and a consultation with my BFF in Texas. I came up with the idea that maybe I should cut out a fusible web to be about 1/8" around the outside edge of the ghost. That would stabilize it long enough to zigzag around it. Hopefully. As you can see it worked. Here is the entire package that I sent Scrapnchick.
Here is the quilt that arrived from Scrapnchick. Isn't it great. I love the black and white
Swapping is Fun!!!!