Tuesday, August 30, 2011

August Mug Rug completed!

I finished my STUD(Swap till you Drop) mini quilts and my Scrappy Mug Rug Swap/Haiku mug rug just in time to make the mailing deadline last week.  I was unable to post anything at that time because it would have spoiled the surprises I had in store for my partners.

First the sneak peek of the mug rug that I made for my partner stitchduchess2.
This is just a very small peek.  She would have known who she was if I had shown more.
This is the whole mug rug.  Stitchduches2 loves peacocks, so I found some left over peacock feather fabric in my stash and created this little quilt.  I then quilted a peacock in the center.  Some think that I free motion quilted this center.  I'm not very good at that.  Instead I pinned a picture of a peacock printed in black and white on regular paper over the quilt and followed the lines without stopping.  Appears like free motion but isn't.  That's me, I cheat all the time.  LOL

Now for the Haiku part of the swap.  For those of you that don't know what that is, it is a short poem that does not rhyme popular in Japan.  It flows because of the control of syllable's.  There are several different formulas for this but our group chose to do a 5/7/5.  This means 5 syllables on the first line, 7 on the second and 5 on the last.  Each poem is supposed to be a story.  We all practiced on a thread posted on the discussions group. Click "thread" and it will take you there.  Some are really great.  OK here is mine for this quilt.       
                                       Beautiful Peacock
                                       Feathers spread in glory
                                       A fabulous sight

I printed it on fabric using my alphabet on my sewing machine.  This is harder with my old machine, because if you goof you have to clear the machine and start over.  For some reason it kept doubling some letters.  This took so long that I started printing more than one copy so if I made a mistake I would have a back up.  Here are the two that came out.
She received her package last Saturday when I had mailed it on Thursday.  Boy was that fast.  She loved it.  Click on her name above to visit her photo stream of Flickr and she what she had to say about it.

Keep swapping!  Marjory



 

No comments:

Post a Comment

qltdwallflowers@msn.com

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...