Friday, September 12, 2014

HoWlinG HauNteD HoUsE Wall Quilt


Halloween is almost here and it's time for some great items I have to share with everyone.  This year for Halloween I decided to do something different, instead of an applique quilt I decided to do a pieced wall quilt.  The finished size is 47" x 47".  For the fabric requirements click HERE   Don't try to duplicate these fabrics as they are from my stash and very old.  In fact the house and some of the blocks are made with a piece of hand dyed fabric I dyed myself several years ago.  I can tell you that 95% of the fabrics used were batiks.

The above picture is from EQ7 so there may have been a few changes.  I'm in the process of quilting this wall hanging and it's not ready for pictures.  Ignore the funny way the moon is showing. I had to do that in order to place it over more than one block.  There is a lot to learn in EQ7 and I still have a lot more to learn.  I usually design my applique in Canvas, a drafting program designed with an artist in mind.

In the fabric requirement PDF you will find the applique patterns without seam allowances for the moon and the oval windows.  There is also 3 ghost patterns that have not been included in this picture.  They will be applied after the quilt is quilted.  Remember my Boo block with the organza ghosts.
That's how these ghosts will be applied to the front of the house on this quilt.  You can either find the original post on how to applique organza or you can just click on the picture about to go to the PDF tutorial.

Are you ready to start on this house?  Click on the picture below and it will take you to the PDF file.
Why did I use two different back ground fabrics you ask!  Not enough fabric is the answer.  Since I'm now retired my budget is very small for fabric purchases for every quilt.  So the new rule of thumb is to make my designs without purchasing new fabric.  If I have to purchase I'm only allowed one purchase, unless of course I'm already broke that month.   Since my stash is vast this is not a problem unless I don't have the right shade of a color.  I didn't have two periwinkle fabrics that were the same shade so I kept going until I was happy with what I did.  This is easy to do if using EQ7.  You just need to scan the fabrics and import them into the program.  The problem was that I wanted the house to float into the Candy Corn border.  I felt this gave the quilt a scarier feel.

Just a warning!! This house is very easy to piece except it has a stray piece that will need some partial sewing.  That's where you just sew part of the seam, attach more pieces and finish the seam after this.  It's piece K under the eave of the top dormer.  I wish I had taken some pictures as I sewed this section but I didn't. If you have trouble with this section let me know and I will try and do some kind of demo.  

I will be furnishing you with the Candy Corn Border and Corners next week.  Make sure I keep that promise please.  lol  

Have Howling Good Time!
Marjory Peck

5 comments:

qltdwallflowers@msn.com

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...